Senior Solar Module Design Engineer
Eastman Business Park, Rochester, NY
Full time. Monday – Friday A-shift, occasional weekend overtime
Energy Materials Corporation is seeking a Senior Solar Module Engineer to design and develop innovative thin-film solar module packaging technologies as part of our drive to provide high performance, inexpensive solar panels at Terawatt scale to meet 2050 decarbonization goals. Working in our manufacturing and laboratory facilities in Rochester, NY, the successful candidate will be directly responsible for the packaging development to support accelerated perovskite-based solar module commercialization on high speed, roll-to-roll coating and printing equipment.
- Develop encapsulation of perovskite cells and modules, including module design, material selection, and process determination.
- Design and execute experiments.
- Analyze data, report results and support multidisciplinary team, including partners at US National Labs, leading universities and both large corporations and small startup companies.
- Ensure smooth transition of benchtop methods to pilot production equipment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- MS or PhD in the physical sciences or engineering with at least 5 years of experience in photovoltaic module packaging
- Strong preference for out of the box, innovation mindset with the ability to creatively fuse design and materials with novel requirements to drive downstream customers’ efficiency and increased economics in varied end market segments
- Expert in thin photovoltaic packaging materials and processes, including vacuum and nip lamination
- Understanding of thin film solar cell fabrication methods
- Preferred: Experience with high-speed processing methods including roll-to-roll coating/printing
- Driven, hands-on individual with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and in a multi-disciplinary, multi-location team environment with ambitious goals and deadlines
- Capable of planning and executing complex experiments and keeping detailed records
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Key requirement: demonstrated passion for working within a team pursuing near term, consequential solutions resulting in impactful products for the urgent global decarbonization effort
- Safe chemical handling experience
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- MS or PhD in the physical sciences
- 5 years of experience in photovoltaic module packaging and or similar electronics packaging industry experience