The primary role of the Solar Process Engineer is to design, implement and optimize manufacturing processes in support of stable, high-volume production of PV (solar) modules.
REPORTS TO: Manufacturing Director
LOCATION: Eastman Business Park, Rochester, NY
- Conduct research to develop new and improved processes for manufacturing
- Estimate production costs
- Evaluate processes and equipment to ensure compliance with environmental and safety regulations
- Identify equipment requirements/specifications, and select suppliers
- Plan production line layout
- Manage equipment delivery, commissioning, and acceptance of prototype, pilot, and production lines
- Establish safety procedures for individuals working with the manufacturing process
- Develop and maintain process related documents
- Conduct tests and monitor the process performance throughout production
- Troubleshoot problems associated with manufacturing processes, including material/hardware interactions.
- Optimize industrial processes for stable, high-volume manufacturing
- Precision printing and coating of thin film solar modules
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Experience and/or strong interest in manufacturing / production environments.
- Knowledge of roll-to-roll processing equipment including unwinding and winding, splicing, in-line printing and coating, laminating, and other web-based processes.
- Knowledge of automated assembly processes for discrete, single piece assembly flow.
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles.
- Preferred – Knowledge and experience with one of more of the following: gravure coating; slot die coating; flexo printing; laser patterning; precision fill and cure; web cutting and splicing; film laminating.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related technical field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven work experience in production-based engineering support.
- Proven work experience in product/process start-up and scale-up.
- Project management experience.
- Advanced technical skills.
- Analytical thinker.
- Excellent team rapport with all levels of the organization, and with external suppliers and consultants.
- Familiarity with process simulations and standard operating procedures.
- Familiarity with CAD / AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with state health and safety regulations.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Lifting up to 40 lbs.